- 40×35 cm baking tray,
- lined with reusable black baking foil
Dough (makes four breads):
- 250 g strong white bread flour
- 2,5 g easy-blend/easy-bake dried yeast
- about 75 ml luke warm milk
- 100 g boiled potatoes
- 75 g soft unsalted butter
- 2 g salt
- crème fraîche
- molten butter
- caraway seeds
- 2 kg white asparagus
- 20 g salt
- dots of butter
- 250 g smoked goose breast
- (or chicken breast)
- bunch of radishes
Dätscher is the name of these flatbreads in the German wine and vegetable- region Franken (North Bavaria). These Bavarian Franks are widely known as enormous enthusiasts of food and particularly drink. So much that even those who are not fluent in Latin understand that the church bells always are ringing ‘Vinum bonum’ – good wine..
Dätscher are often served at a wine tasting party but go very wel with Spargel auf fränkische Art, which you can easily look upon as a tasting party when you serve them with a glass of Sylvaner.
- Starter: Mix 50 g of flour with yeast and milk. Cover the bowl. Leave for half an hour at room temperature.
- Dough: Press the potatoes through the ricer. Knead an elastic dough with this puree, the rest of the flour, the butter, the risen starter and maybe some more milk. Divide into 4 balls. Roll out to circles of 25 cm on a lightly floured work surface.
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/400˚F/gas 6.
- Spread the dough circles with crème fraîche, drizzle with some butter, sprinkle with some salt and caraway seeds.
- Bake one by one about 10 minutes on the middle shelf. They will be crunchy and a golden brown. Pierce the large bubbles which can arise after a minute in the oven with a carving fork. Eat fresh.
- Asparagus: Rince and trim about 2 cm from the base, reserving the trimmings. Using a vegetable trimmer peel the spears from top to toe. Put peel and trimmings in a pan, cover with a towel. Fold the asparagus in the towel. Cover with water, add salt. Close the pan. Bring to the boil , temper the heat; poach 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat; leave to stand covered for 15 minutes. Drain well.
- Serving suggestion: Garnish the rim of a flat dish with very thin slices of meat and radishes, put warm asparagus with dots of butter in the middle, decorate with a broad ribbon of coarsely cut chervil.