- muffin-pan for 12 pieces, 38×27 cm,
- diameter muffin about 7 cm, contents 125 ml,
- lightly greased
Crust (for 12 pieces):
- 250 g plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (2 g)
- 100 g cold butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 100 ml cold water
- extra flour for rolling out
- 2 tablespoons (palm) oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped green bell pepper
- 2 chopped hot red peppers (without seeds)
- 2 egg yolks
- 150 ml creamy coconut milk
- 400 g cooked and peeled large shrimps
- 100 g palm hearts in pieces (tin),
- patted dry
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves
- about 5 tablespoons coconut flour
- coconut milk
From a culinary point of view one can safely say that Brasil is for Latin America what France is for Europe. Eating is something very important there. It is said that a Brazilian foodie will swim the whole Bay of Rio when he hears that the empadas on the other side are better.
Here I offer a recipe for Empadas de camarão. These can be made smallish (empadinhas) and then are served as appetizers. The bigger ones are eaten seated at a table and served with a truly Brazilian salad.
Our filling originated in Cozinha Baiana, the kitchen of Bahía, the most famous of the six Brazilian culinary regions, with strong African influences. Most important ingredients: palm oil (dendê), coconut, fresh coriander, shrimps and hot peppers, ingredients all found here.
- Sift flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Add the butter and cut it into very small pieces with two knives. Rub in, using the tips of your fingers, until the mixture looks like fine crumbs. Stir in the yolks with a knife and so much water that no dry flour can be seen anymore. Knead quickly to a coherent ball. Cover and cool.
- On a low flame sauté onion, bell pepper and hot pepper in the oil. Add egg yolks beaten with coconut milk, stir until lightly thickend. Take the pan from the stove and mix with shrimps, palm hearts and chopped coriander.
- Heat the oven to 200˚C/400˚F/gas 6.
- Shape the dough into a roll. Cut into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece out on a lightly floured surface to a circle of 12 cm diameter. Line the muffin holes with them. Make a raised rim with thumb and forefinger.
- Fill with shrimp mixture. Stir coconut flour and coconut milk into a thick mush, put a tablespoon on top of each pastry.
- Bake about 35 minutes on the lowest shelf.
Eat with Salada:
- Arrange chickpeas, black olives, pieces of palmheart, very thin shaved red onion, slices of tomato and koriander onto colorfull lettuce leaves. Drip olive oil over it. Serve with lemon slices and tabasco sauce.